Monday, September 2, 2013

Evaluation Strategy MN 511 Week 2


After reviewing the National League for nursing document regarding the competencies for nurse educators, specifically reviewing competency number three, I think that providing timely, constructive, and thoughtful feedback to learners is so very important (National League for Nursing, 2005).  I would like to improve upon this particular competency in this course, because I know that as a clinical educator on my unit and in my travels to other units, that I do not necessarily always provide timely and constructive feedback to my students or learners. One of the responsibilities of my job is to provide clinical education to psychiatric nurses about suicide assessment and reassessment, treatment planning, falls reduction, therapeutic communication, and other aspects of nursing that re relative to psychiatric nursing. I think that as an educator with a short timeframe to do my education, I tend to focus on what is not being done correctly, instead of providing feedback and reinforcement as to what is being done correctly. I think that being able to provide timely, constructive, and thoughtful feedback will greatly benefit my career at present, and will benefit my future career as a nurse educator. Nursing educators and their involvement in the entire educational process is critical for the future of the nursing profession (Albutt, Ali, and Watson, 2013). The student evaluation in the clinical setting on a medical surgical unit for example would be completed using a core competency grid, and would be reviewed with the student. Also, having the student perform a self-evaluation using the same rubric and then comparing would enable for a positive teaching and learning environment for feedback to be provided.

Objective: Provide constructive feedback to student nurses on their performance in the clinical setting in order to facilitate growth and allow for a collaborative learning environment with the student.

 

                                                                     References

Albutt, G., Ali, P., & Watson, R. (2013). Preparing nurses to work in primary care: educators' perspectives. Nursing Standard, 27(36), 41-46.

National League for Nursing (2002). Core competencies of nurse educations with task statements. Retrieved September 2, 2013 from http://extmedia.kaplan.edu/nursing/MSN/MN511/Resources/Competencies_Nurse_Educator.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment